Thursday, February 24, 2011

Crazy Cab Drivers

Oh, I'm exhausted. I just returned from a trip to Laurel, Maryland where I attended my first "Polymer Clay Cabin Fest". Mainly I spent the whole week with some extremely crafty, clever, and creative women who were all so excited to escape from their hectic jobs and homes for a short while. They all had such interesting lives. One woman lobbied for mussels! Curiously I met a lot of women working in the public sector. I met plenty of dentists and doctors. I'm learning more and more that women who have jobs in extremely professional fields also do jewelry. I'm thinking they need some sort of creative outlet. I felt very lucky because I had no desire to "escape" from my "other job". In fact, I'm desperately trying to do the opposite and marry the two together.
      So much was crammed into my head in a week. I woke up every morning at 7 a.m. to be ready on time, which is actually 5 a.m. Utah time! It's a miracle I processed anything in the mental state of exhaustion I was in. I think the technique I learned that I am most excited to use is how to "antique" raw copper by using "liver of sulphur", a nasty smelling mineral that sort of looks like a shriveled up pea.
     I was the youngest by at least 20 years. It was odd to feel out of place by being so young. I'm used to being the oldest and feeling out-of-place in that sense. I got a whole lot of "If I could be your age again, I would take a few semesters of glass-blowing in Richmond, Virginia" or "You really ought to tour Europe for a couple months. Make sure you don't go alone, and do it now while you have the chance!"
    Lunch time was always a mild concern for me. I felt as though I wouldn't have much to contribute to the conversations of these women about their children and husbands and retirement. However, they always seemed to find me and join my lonely table, and I was always eager to accept their warmth and friendly conversation.

The best thing that came out of this whole trip was my newest piece, "Charlie the owl". This will be the first time I have incorporated new textures by adding baby feathers. I'm tickled by the outcome. He will be on my site within the next few days. (Just as soon as I can convince Nick to drag out his tri-pod and snap some sweet shots)

In the land of Meg and Dia we are coming together in the next few days to begin rehearsing for the Kinch tour. We really hope to see some of you on this tour. And please do try to make it out to South by Southwest in Austin. It really is worth experiencing at least once!

Honestly,
Meg

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like you've been having a lot of fun! Even at such an ungodly hour. Haha.

    I'm really looking forward to the next few weeks! I finally got a job so I totally wanna go on a jewelry buying spree and hopefully I'll actually have some money by March 9th for the concert. I'm super excited to see you guys again!

    Also, I met a girl at GameStop who loves you guys. I gave her an extra MaD Cardigan and now I get all my games at a discount. Haha. Her name is Lexie and she said that she'd be at the March 9th show! You guys have the nicest fans, I love it.

    Excited to see Charlie The Owl! He sounds so cute!

    Keep on keepin' on!
    Alyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always so stoked to see your new jewelry pieces!
    And love the new bicycle photo, really cute. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stuffing your noodle with more jewelry knowledge? Well, that's good. And it is interesting that you've said women in professional fields are in to jewelry. My aunt is a registered nurse and she has recently been going bonkers making bracelets. She does so with little a gajillion tiny beads and crystals.

    As always, any new piece is worth getting excited over. Hope to see it soon.

    Your new picture looks great by the way! I like the setting sun, green grass, and hands-free action. How soon after did you put your hands back on the handlebars though? =P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see the new Charlie! He sounds so cute! Love the new picture, by the way! Pssst, come to the south east again? I'm still thankful for M&D!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the new picture and I can't wait for your new piece. :D Just wanted to let you know that I'm a HUGE fan of Meg and Dia. You and Dia are amazing songwriters. I'm only 13 and I've been listening to you since I was 8. Nick, Jonathan, Carlos, and you are amazing musicians. I sound like a crazy fan-girl. Even though I'm a guy. But anyways. Just wanted to let you know that. I'm trying to beg my mom to let me go to the tour. But she's a bit skeptical cause my uncles wedding is on March 5th so fingers crossed. :) Oh, and did the first 20 Meg and Dia Necklace already go out?

    ReplyDelete