Saturday, June 4, 2011

Jewelry + Music

I've learned a lot about music since I started designing and making jewelry. It's funny how everything in your life ties together, like if you started learning German you'd become a better cook. Learning "something new" makes you re-evaluate that "something-old" that you've done all your life.

I used to think that (o.k. vulnerable and personal moment on my blog here. Look out!) if I didn't play the guitar like Joe Satriani I wasn't worth listening to. I put an incredible amount of pressure on myself to be great as a musician. I always have. I probably always will. When I wrote my first song "Masterpiece", I really enjoyed it and thought it was something wonderful, but after a few years I began evaluating it and comparing it to other musicians' work. "There are only four chords in the thing, it's not worth beans!" I thought. There weren't any "jazzy chords" in it, or sixteenth note arpeggios, nothing impressive at all, just four chords, a melody, and lyrics about my first broken heart.

But now I realize that it was and is good. Just because I don't "shred" in the song, and there aren't really complicated musical passages, that doesn't mean it isn't good. It's unique and I put a little bit of "Meg" inside of there, and I like it. It is good.

That's how it is with jewelry, except with jewelry I was never hard on myself from the beginning. I designed things I liked. I thought they were fantastic, and although I personalized each piece, I never took a piece personal, or even asked the question really of "Is this good? Is there better out there?"

Jewelry designing can actually be a very complex process depending on the materials used. It can be as complicated and fine as violin making. Jewelers stone set precious jewels worth millions! They melt elements and the intricacies of the craft and the skill level involved are astronomical!

And I make robots out of clay.

I think I've discovered my "thing" I involve myself in art that people spend their lives mastering. But, I don't become the "expert". Yes, true, I am trying to improve myself everyday. But with jewelry and music it's not about being the fastest, or the most complicated, or even the most impressive. I just try to find elements of the craft that I love, focus on them, make them mine (which means make them incredibly quirky and weird) and love what I create.

All I have to think is "What I've created no one has created quite like this before. Here world, take it or leave it."

I really have jewelry making to thank for giving me this new perspective on my music. 

The point is, don't be afraid to put yourself out there even if you don't think you are "ready yet".

What are you waiting for?

Honestly,
Meg

P.S. I snagged this photo from Dia's facebook. I love it when I catch her wearing my jewlery. And plus she just looks adorable!


1 comment:

  1. Found your band and your blog after seeing you sister on the Voice. I really appreciate your blog. It's sincere, quirky and whimsical (sort of like your jewelry).

    Keeping expressing yourself through the mediums that you choose. The results are quite lovely!

    ReplyDelete