Sunday, February 19, 2012

Memories in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

The tour is centered around "Blake Shelton" shows, but we do have quite a bit of "Dia Frampton" shows scattered throughout. The back-stage vibe is always "professional" on Blake days. We have to be "on-call" at all times, ready to move our gear onto the stage in a moments notice. Beeps and fuzzy voices from the walkie-talkies everyone carries around on their belts  constantly interrupt conversations.  I arrive at the stage a little earlier than everyone else before we go on. I meditate, take a peek at the crowd, and mentally prepare myself for the crazy 30 minutes that are about to take place.

We are almost half way through the tour, and I still can't wrap my head around what we do each night. Playing in an arena for the first time gave me the exact same rush of adrenaline I felt when I saw the ocean off the California coast for the first time right after I turned 15. Kind of makes you think to yourself: Is this real?

The band enjoying our "Post-Show dinner" in the green room. Dia is peeking out behind me.

Although our headlining shows are on a smaller scale we still treat them with respect and take them seriously. They are a little more "relaxed" then the Blake shows. I let my hair down, try to focus on individual faces, and attempt to figure out what they are thinking when they watch us.

Dia and I had a few "telepathic moments" during tonight's show in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She told the band after our show that she screwed up "Homeless". She said she looked up at me, fingers shaking on the keys of the piano, after she realized she had lost her place in the song. At her position, seated at the piano behind me, all she could see was my back turned to her. She said even though I wasn't facing her, I still helped her find her spot in the song. We also had a few moments during our "Flight of the Concords" cover when we did the same dance moves in tandem with no discussion before the show. We just ended up playing, dancing, and singing in sync. Sister power!

 I want to say thank you to Vanessa for your drawing of Chandler the Robot you brought to the show tonight. All the time she put into the picture almost made me tear up! 



We're making memories out here, not only by the shows we are playing all across the country, but by the time spent around those shows as well. Whenever we make our tour manager schmooze Chipotle to feed us baby birds, we are making memories. Whenever all 5 of our alarm clocks on our phones go off in the morning like a really out-of-tune symphony, we are making memories. Whenever we sing our "Jamaican Bobsled" chant before we share our music with people who decided we are worth listening to, we are making memories.

Thank you.

Honestly,
Meg

37 comments:

  1. Gahhhhh I'm so excited... 13 more days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Yay:) Are you coming out to the Denver show Emilie or the Salt Lake City show?

      Delete
  2. Just think of the wonderful memories your fans get, who are lucky enough to see you perform.
    Never doubt or forget how much we love & appreciate you guys entertaining us. You, Dia, & the boy
    are damn good and keep getting better & better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Our manager wrote us an email last night saying "things are coming together on stage", which is great because our manager, Mike is coming out to the next few shows in New York to "say hi" which means he's making sure things are running smoothly. I really feel like the show has come to its "sweet spot" on the tour. So from now on, things are going to be great! (Not that they weren't in the past, but you know what I mean:)

      Delete
  3. You guys were so awesome last night, I can't wait to see you all again. My only complaint was that I didn't get the chance to meet you :( maybe next time. Best wishes to you and the rest of your band!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my bad. I had to load up, and unfortunately "security" had Dia and I on lock down because apparently there was a "sketch" man wandering around the venue...Next time I promise!

      Delete
  4. Awesome to think that in 48 hours, I will be on the train into NYC to see you guys it gets me so excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm SO pumped. You have to come say "hi". We hang out at the merch table after the show.

      Delete
  5. I absolutely LOVED your concert last night! I've been waiting years for you guys to come to Pittsburgh haha, so last night was really special to me :) you guys are so amazing live! You all have such a great stage presence and you sounded INCREDIBLE! I'll always remember that concert. Thanks so much for sharing your talent, it really means so much to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Gina! We had such a good time. Everyone in the audience was so sweet. Ya know, how sometimes people talk a lot during shows when the artist is trying to perform? Well, last night everyone was so respectful you could have heard a cricket. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you guys enjoyed it too! The people I did meet in the audience were all really nice and polite, I was a little bit surprised at how thoughtful everyone was! It was just a good show all in all :)

      Delete
  7. im addicted to your words!...and music of course, first on my bucketlist to see you guys live.
    much love <3 from the uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, I loved your "telepathic moments," especially the dances moves. I didn't even care when Dia got mixed up on Homeless, because you all still sounded great and just went with it.

    I appreciate all five of you so much. I had such an amazing time at that show last night! And Carlo gave me his pick! It was so awesome to finally meet you after listening to your music since "06. Thank you all for being so nice. I'm really happy you like my picture I drew for you too =]

    Safe travels on the rest of your tour <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love love LOVED it! I wish I would have been there to meet you in person! Thank you so much again. I hung it up on our tour bus fridge:)

      Delete
    2. That's so sweet. Actually I did get a chance to see you way later outside in the cold. Thanks again!

      Delete
    3. Woah! Carlo gave you his pick? Lucky!!!

      Delete
  9. You're show last night was awesome :) I was such a dork singing along to every word and I loved it! I was wearing my willies earrings hoping you'd see them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your a dork for singing all the words, then I'm a dork cuz I sang all the words too;) I wish I could have taken a pic with you wearing the Willies!

      Delete
  10. Thank you for letting us be apart of those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for stopping in Pittsburgh. It seriously mad me life. I can't think about last night without crying.

    You guys are just so amazing, & seeing you live reaffirmed everything i love about the whole band.

    I would just like to say to everyone at the concert thank you for being so respectful. Usually there's a lot of hazing or pushing or just talking during performances, but this concert was so mellow.
    I thought since I was in the first row at the center, people would try to push me out of the way, but no one even touched me. It was amazing.

    & thank you, Meg, for making enough Chandlers for me to get my hands on one. It is the cutest thing ever.

    --Wei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in the front center area too. And I agree, the crowd was very respectful for the whole show.

      Delete
    2. You are welcome Wei! Right now the only place Chandler is available is at "Dia Frampton" shows. I'm trying to change that as quickly as possible. I agree with both @smarTchic06 and yourself that everyone WAS so respectful. Why can't it be like that at every show?

      Delete
  12. Oh my gosh - Dia XD

    I loved when you guys covered Flight of the Concords. You were all so happy and goofy. Were you just the same on stage?

    Cool drawing Vanessa!

    ReplyDelete
  13. your "Flight of the Concords" cover is awesome...you turned a comedic song into a Great song. i love your dance moves on youtube.

    i wish i could see you guys on tour but my health is so bad i never will

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god, I haven't seen any of the youtube videos of that song! I'm afraid. ha ha!

      Delete
    2. Dia is great but you make the song with the whisper and awesomely bad dancing

      Delete
  14. here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kjnsZAaxTA

    It's on the DiaFrampton YouTube channel

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks. I'm gonna check it out and probably pee my pants laughing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost peed in my pants of happiness the first time I saw it! It was such a great cover too... Reminded me of when you guys first did "Remix to Ignition".

      This blog warms my heart though... Sounds like you guys are living the life and you still can't seem to wrap your heads around it! Just keep enjoying it for what it is... can't wait to finally see you guys in March!

      Delete
  16. All of this tour talk is making me jealous since I live in Austin! Haha. Regardless, I catch all of the performances on Youtube and you guys kill it every time. Expect me in the front row singing all of the words next time you come through!

    --Kristina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in Austin too! Did I mention Austin is my favorite city EVER! Eat a "fried avocado taco" from Torchy's Tacos for me!!!

      Delete
    2. Hahah nice! I absolutely will. I'll also eat pizza from Homeslice for ya too! (If you haven't tried it yet, you simply must.)

      Delete
  17. Hi Meg!!! This is such a great post and it shows your personality and how much you care for your fans. It was very cool to read all your memories. Though I have never been to Pittsburgh I hear it's a good place. I hope you will have good things to remember in Fairfax, Va and Roanoke, VA! I shall be coming to the Fairfax one and was wondering if there would be any way I could give you my chandler drawings......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I come out to the merch table with Dia after every show:)

      Delete
  18. I love the Kodak moment during the "post-show dinner." Priceless!
    The tour sounds like it just keeps getting better and better. I'm bummed out that I have to miss the show in Fairfax, especially since the Patriot Center is only twenty minutes away. If the gang is in the area for awhile, I'm up for hanging out though! *Wink wink, nudge nudge* Hahaha

    ReplyDelete