Monday, February 13, 2012

We Hear What We Listen For

I came across this story the other day. It really touched me. I thought I would share with you.

Two men were walking along a crowded sidewalk in a downtown business area. Suddenly one exclaimed: "Listen to the lovely sound of that cricket." But the other could not hear. He asked his companion how he could detect the sound of a cricket amid the din of people and traffic. The first man, who was a zoologist, had trained himself to listen to the voices of nature. But he didn't explain. He simply took a coin out of his pocket and dropped it to the sidewalk, whereupon a dozen people began to look about them. "We hear," he said, "what we listen for."

                                                                                     -Kermit L. Long

7 comments:

  1. That is a touching story!

    Around where I live, nothing beats the early morning pleasant coo of morning doves. Life would truly be so empty without the subtle, enchanting touches that nature offers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very true.

    Although, whenever I walk into my house and I don't even decide whether I want to listen or not, I can immediately hear if there is a television on somewhere.

    Obviously if it's on I hear it, but even if someone left it paused I can hear a very distant ringing sound coming from it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... This definitely makes me think...
    I like this. A lot.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this.

    Someone told me this week that I should take some time out of each day to just listen to music, and nothing else. I guess people are so busy we don't do this anymore... but I hear things in the songs that I didn't notice before. It's nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this post. I was humming "Sounds of Silence" for part of the day, because it kind of reminds me of the line "people were hearing without listening". I guess, for me, it seems like you have to know what you're listening for to actually hear it especially with all the background noise in life. Sometimes the most important messages are things we overlook. I guess that's the "Sounds of Silence."

    ReplyDelete
  6. My wife has been telling me that for years that I have selective hearing. She's absolutely right, two people could be having a conversation right next to me I wouldn't hear a word they said. You have to want to hear the sweet sounds of life, like crickets. Or the beautiful music of Meg and Dia.

    ReplyDelete