Friday, March 9, 2012

2 Babes and an Asian

I had a dream that I produced "hits" behind a giant mixing board. I sat in one of those plush swivel chairs draped in hot pink velvet. Empty paper coffee cups littered the floor. Only I had access to this recording studio. In between playing back the track, a silence filled the studio, so quiet you could hear a furry cockroach scurrying across the shiny maple floors. Mist floated through the room, clouding my mixing decisions along with my surroundings. 

I hit a giant orange play button near the bottom of the mixing console. Dia's voice screamed at me through the enormous speakers level with my head. Her vocal track didn't sound sweet and warm like it normally does. Instead a harsh vocal melody growled over the instruments. I sprang out of my chair like a jack n' the box in a horror movie. 

This is it! This is what I have been looking for!  

The song had a steady raw drum beat that sounded like it walked right out of an obscure Blues Bar in Austin. A heavy and clear bass line anchored the tune beautifully. I simply needed to turn up the raggedy guitar riff panned to the right in order to transform this track into the beast I knew it could be. I steadied my shaking index finger on the dial, fighting the rush of adrenaline. I slid the dial up. The guitars popped into place, and my heart filled with joy only a choir of angels are capable of feeling. 

Suddenly a piercing and pulsating violin track interrupted my beautiful rock symphony, sounding horrifically similar to Jim Carrey's "most annoying sound in the world" in Dumb and Dumber. 

And I woke up, realizing that the violins in my dream were actually the sound of the DoubleTree Hotel's alarm clock. 

The recording session of my dreams (literally) ended abruptly. Time to start another day.

Dia hops in the shower. I hop in the shower after she is done. Makeup. Hair. Shoes. Dress. Guitar. Out the door. 

We performed for a radio station today in Spokane. Dia knows the names of them. I can never remember. I am HORRIBLE at "schmoozing" people, which is the name of the game at the radio stations. Too bad an artist simply can't enter the premises of the radio station, fall to their knees, and beg, "Please Radio Station _________ if you play my song I'll let you keep my pet parrot and I'll even give you all of my marvel comic action figurines I've been collecting since I was 10! Please, pretty please!" Now that is a negotiation method I can do!

O.K. so I might have geeked out at the radio station and snapped a photo with these two cardboard cutout babes!


Instead of being the "suits" I had imagined, the Radio Station peeps were incredibly charming and ended up wooing us with their delectable pastries and steaming fresh coffee.  Extremely knowledgeable, kind, and encouraging, I couldn't help but wish it were practical for me to invite them to my family's next Thanksgiving dinner.

Damn.

Tonight we played a show at the Key Arena in Seattle. Nick and I explored Pike's Place Market before the show. I bought some fresh plums and ruby red grapefruit. I've been having a strange craving for fruit lately...

Fresh Seattle rain and produce make me happy!


The monorail we rode to Pikes can carry 3 1/2 baby elephants. Did you know?!

Honestly,
Meg

25 comments:

  1. what a vivid dream! ha! mine are always so fuzzy when i wake up.

    isn't seattle such a beautiful city?? i'm originally from around there and i miss pike's so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fan of Marvel comics? Me, too!

    Haha.

    You're a great writer, Meg! "Triple stamp and no erasies!" Also, I wanted to thank you for a fantastic show last weekend in Chi-Town! Unfortunately, I missed you after the show, but I was able to grab a picture with your sis Dia (which I posted below. Haha). I'd love to see you guys again. Hope you're doing well!

    -Jonathan Spinasanto

    http://twitpic.com/8ralya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Dream!

    My dad owns a Texas Country radio station and a dancehall, so the "schmoozing" goes both ways for him. Radio should just be about music, but there's always going to be some political crap. I've heard crappy songs get played constantly to put an artist on the charts.

    Anyway...I like your writing style, I LOVE your jewelry, and hope to attend one of your concerts one day (maybe at my father's dancehall wink wink). And now I'm done schmoozing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite an interesting dream. You have a very descriptive and wonderful way of relaying your thoughts so that we can all imagine it clearly. Please write a book someday!
    And I just received Herman in the mail. He's so charming, thanks Meg!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dreams are pretty crazy. I know during my seasonal bouts of obsession over your music, the whole band often ends up playing random characters in my dreams. I sure hope they're some kind of sign of things to come, because that dream is a world I'd like to live in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate it when I have a nightmare and I wake up but fall asleep I always go back into the nightmare. But if I had a really good dream wake up and try to go back to sleep, I never can go back into it.... So for nightmares, when it wakes me up, I stay up for at least 5-10mins before going back to sleep lol.

    On a different note, you have one week left until your tour! Are you sad? Happy? excited? you guys deserve a huge break. :) what will be the first few things you do when your tour is over?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a little more than two weeks left! I'm sad and happy, but mostly just tired. haha. I'm going to start making new jewelry designs and move out of my apartment!

      Delete
    2. yeah i'm sure this tour really rough because you guys were sick and the shows weren't exactly linear up or down the coast or one close city to the next.. more like one point to the next and back to an original point, then to the next.

      I guess it's hard to book shows when you're doing two separate tours.

      Oh cool! getting a bigger place? or moving to a different apartment?

      Delete
  7. Your so lucky & blessed you get to do what you Love everyday Meg! Even though there is so much plane cab hotel bus.Its crazy how we can dream so big but it can actually be a reality with hardwork & perseverance. If you go back 10 years ago, did you ever think you would still be playing music for a living?...or what do you think you would be doing if music have never worked out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I never would have imagined it would have lasted this long or become this huge. I have no idea what I would be doing, because in a way I found Chandler because of music so Chandler probably wouldn't have been here either. Maybe I would have been an...accountant?

      Delete
    2. There is no way I can see you being happy as a bean counter. It's like mental death for creatives.

      Delete
  8. Wow! I can't believe the tour is almost over - it seems like it just started!

    And I think those Marvel figurines would be enough to bribe me any day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a dream that I hung out with the Meg & Dia band over coffee. Is that kind of creepy? But it was a dream I was sad to wake up from :]
    Haha the picture of you and the "babes" is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I have dreams like that all the time. Gina I had a dream I hung out with Meg and Dia too-they probably do think it's creepy. But it was one of those dreams that you love but you know will never happen. I wish it could happen though!!!!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. It's probably because you guys have been reading my blog lately. Ha ha! I'm joking. Please don't stop!

      Delete
    2. I had a dream where I was your sister along with Dia.I was along tour with you making jewelry of my own. It was so awesome! :)

      Delete
  11. haha don't lie, i bet you could totally see yourself being a fancy record company executive! or whatever those people are called. ;) i actually had a dream that i went to the nyc dia concert (before i actually went) and i forgot my camera. which is like, my biggest nightmare ever. i feel like i have camera forgetting dreams a lot.

    and also that's a pretty cool picture you got there with blake. um he looks a little flat though, but maybe it's just the camera angle? hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was getting pretty excited there Meg reading this post. I could feel the floor start to vibrate while I anxiously waited for the sound of that new music to come blasting out of this post. There was some serious rock going on and then the violin and I thought for a moment just a moment mide you that this is going Celtic (which I'm a big fan of). But no it was a just a stupid alarm clock ruining the dream, my version of it anyway (the Celtic part). Ha ha that was fun!

    And to think of sweet Dia singing in a harsh vocal, Is that possible? But than again I've seen her glare at Carlo when he repeated a uncensored line that someone in the audience said, that gave everyone a good laugh.

    Great post as always loved the carboard cutout photo, heck I thought it was real.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pike's place is the bomb.
    I had a dream last night that I had to build a house out of popsicle sticks. Yours sounds a bit more intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Meg, my Herman arrived today! Gosh he is cute! I LOVE HIM! He is just.... WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have you ever heard of this debate about whether people dream in black&white vs. color? I definitely dream in color, but the subject of the subconscious is a pretty interesting topic nonetheless. Dreams remind me somewhat of an ocean. They feel so open, you could almost float in them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was at the Key Arena show to see you guys, and you were great! I'm glad you got to explore Pike's Place, I hope my city was good to you.

    ReplyDelete