Thursday, March 15, 2012

Dia's Feature On Wall Street Journal Blog!



NBC
Dia Frampton
Before she got her hands on the Olympus LS-20M and LS-7 recorders, singer and “The Voice ” Season 1 runner-up Dia Frampton called her answering machine at all hours to record things like a lyric in her head, a chord progression she liked, or a melody she had just dreamed up. But when she played back the message, she often lost some the details.
Now that she has deal with Olympus, Frampton says she is never without a recorder.
Sitting with her sister, Meg, in the cavernous Cafe Wha? in Greenwich Village, Frampton was eager to discuss her life and career after “The Voice,” which currently includes touring with Blake Shelton as his opening act.
The Wall Street Journal: Behind the scenes and beyond the cameras, what was the atmosphere like on “The Voice?”
Dia Frampton: It was definitely an anxiety-driven environment. I had watched “The Voice” Holland and when I went to audition there were 200 to 300 people waiting for their turn. The whole time I auditioned was a blur. I was stressed out and all alone and then there were 60 other singers when it came time for the actual competition. But I knew from the beginning that being a part of Season 1 was something special.
Did you think when you chose Blake Shelton that your relationship would evolve as it has?
I was a little uncomfortable with the idea of going on a country music tour at first with Blake, but we did a duet on my record and he was such a great coach. There’s a lot of crap that goes on in reality TV and the music business is scary, anyone who tells you otherwise is lying, to you or themselves. But Blake was always there. I think that’s just who he is. We text now, he’s really a mentor, not to mention a person that allows me to sing for 30 minutes in front of 7,000 to 10,000 people a night.
What’s so scary about the music business?
I was on the Warner Bros. label and then I got dropped. Music is an intangible thing and right now the industry is very fickle. It’s not just put out an album and then sell it. There is no direct result, no if you do this then you will be safe. You could be shelved or dropped, just like that. Music is scary.
We’re over halfway through Season 2 of “The Voice.” Do you think the opportunity to tour with Blake would be afforded to you this time around?
Every season of every show gets harder and harder. I don’t even know if I would have made it into the running. There’s always an insecurity for me. I’m a crooner not a belter and there are a lot of belters this season.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad Dia was in the premiere season of the Voice! When I look back at all singing shows, it seems like the first season is always the most memorable when people look back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dia was by far the best person last season! I hope Meg & Dia gets a label, or another album... I think Naia Kete's voice reminds me of Dia's the most this season! and she is also on Blake's team! I really wanted to go see Dia in Charlotte, but she won't be on that part of Blake's tour :( Maybe I'll be able to see her or Meg & Dia or both later in my lifetime! Reall really really want to!!!!

    ReplyDelete