Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The End Is Near

Tour sweet tour. The "Blake Shelton" Tour is drawing to a close. Sad but true. I'm glad the the tour is ending on the west coast. It kind of seems like we are riding off into the warm sunshine this way.

Blake Shelton's, Justin Moore's and our people will be veering off in separate directions. Out of all the people on the tour, I feel closest to Jenee, Blake's violinist/guitarist/back-up vocalist. She has been an amazing role model for me. She's an extremely classy and talented woman with many years of experience playing for professional artists like Martina McBride. Her violin/fiddle playing is some of the best I've seen. Meeting her has made me realize how much further I have to go musically, even though I already feel I have come so far. I have her to thank for introducing the subtleties and purity of "blue grass" music. I will miss her and her southern accent. 

Jenee also writes her own awesome tunes which you can listen to here!


Last night, at our "End of Tour Party", rented instruments littered a stage in our dining area. After a delectable meal of grilled veggies, potatoes, and biscuits, Blake's musicians assembled on stage and began free-styling. You could feel the emotion pouring out of their fingers and their bodies. They were all masters of their instruments. I can't imagine all of the hours they must have put into practicing their craft to be able to call on their arsenal of techniques so fluently and tastefully.

Although playing in arenas is a huge "high", and I can't really compare anything to that feeling of being in front of so many people, I think I would rather be an incredible player in front of a very small crowd rather than playing average in an arena. I'm thankful for the opportunity of a tour so incredibly HUGE, but the biggest thing I learned on this tour is that for me, music is still at the heart of everything, more than a giant tour bus, more than arenas, more than a full rider complete with honey nut cheerios, almond milk that nobody drinks, and ice tea.

 I love music because of the "journey" aspect of the craft. You see, you never are at the end. That's a good thing, because if you ever did get to the end what would you do? I'd tell you what, you'd be sipping on a club soda, and what's so great about sipping on a club soda?

Coming off of a tour like this is always a rejuvenator of sorts. Such a big change of lifestyle always catapults me into life's next "phase", which is why I'm kind of infamous for doing something crazy at the end of every tour (like moving to Austin on a whim, the first time I moved there.) 

Just like I was SO ready to be on tour when we first started out the tour, I'm SO ready to be home now. 

Nick and I are moving back to Salt Lake City from Austin. Yes, yes I know. I love this city, and the goodbyes will be hard. I'll be back someday. My Chandler the Robot Shop will stay up during the move thanks to mama Frampton (and sometimes papa).

We are playing in Bakersfield tonight. The California air is sweet, just like I remember it. 

Honestly,
Meg

22 comments:

  1. Can't wait for the show in West Hollywood! See you there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to that show. We are planning on making it extra special...

      Delete
    2. The boardies are excited too! I hope that we get a couple more Meg and Dia songs!

      Delete
    3. Ahh can't wait to see everyone!
      Meg, I've got a question about the Troubadour venue. I just read through their FAQ and it says that having cameras at the venue is at the discretion of the artists playing. And if I want to bring my DSLR, I'll most likely need a photo pass and permission from the artists to get a pass. Do you know if your tour "people" will allow DSLRs into the venue or shall I work on finding permission to get a photo pass?

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you guys did the tour. I got to see and meet one of my favorite bands. Although I did forger to ask for your autograph through all of the excitement. I'll just have to get it next time you guys tour. Hope all goes well with the rest of the tour and the move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tour seemed to go by fast - I still remember reading that post you had about your first show in the arena with Blake and how different it was for you when you were performing.

    What did you miss the most while you were on tour/what are you most looking forward to doing once you get back home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed my bed and my closet and my kitchen! I'm most looking forward to sitting on my coach and staring at a t.v. for hours and just being lazy in general. Also, I missed Torchy's Tacos. Torchy's Tacos, I love you!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you guys have enjoyed the tour. California's one of my favorite states, and I hope to end up there eventually. One of the many reasons why I'm very excited to come out this weekend.

    I'm also glad that music's still central for you... that's what it's all about right?
    I actually really enjoy SLC but I'm not sure if I could live there. It's a city that I always visit on trips where I'm *cough* a bit too emotional, so my memories are of driving around the mountains in the city listening to Less of Me and staring up at the Capitol building. Also, I really love the Gateway mall. Partially because that was the first time I met Dia and I'm pretty sure I terrified her with my enthusiasm. The people there are all extremely nice though, I hope I get to visit again soon.

    Is it too soon to ask when you'll be touring again? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. I don't even know the answer to that question.

      Delete
    2. Haha, I kid. It's nice to wonder though.

      Delete
  5. meg, i can't agree with you more about the feeling of playing at a smaller venue/crowd. it also seems like the sound also travels better inside a small venue, but so glad you guys got the opportunity to play for a bigger crowd for the experience. I think i'm one of the few that got the opportunity to see you perform at a small and big venue during this tour. I feel like I was so fortunate for that to happen. For that, I had to get myself Dia's tour t-shirt because it's going to be a shirt and tour for me to remember! As it was a learning experience for you on a big venue, it was also a huge learning experience for me to take pictures at a big scale venue. Definitely glad you guys enjoyed seeing me run around the Fairfax venue as much as I enjoyed running around taking pictures of you guys LOL! I'm sure you guys will be back on the road again and when that happens, I'll be ready to go watch you guys perform and take pics for you guys again :). Just in case my short term memory goes array, I've put it on paper for me to remember :).

    http://ln13ull.com/post/19171756606/diaframps20120225

    Thanks so much for the memories and experience!

    -Liem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liem: Bravo on a job well done! I want to express my appreciation for not only your superb photography (under nerve-wracking conditions at a huge live show, no less) but also that you took the time to write in detail about your whole experience. It almost made me feel like I was your assistant shadowing you.

      My niece and I had a great time watching Dia, Meg, and their band open in a big way for Blake Shelton last month in Worcester MA (Justin Moore & Blake were fantastic also), but I wish I had also been able to see one of their more intimate headlining shows. That's why I am grateful that you did high-res video & photos of their show in Towson MD. Next best thing to being there--front row, too.

      Congratulations. It looks like you got much more out of this experience than you could have ever dreamed.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad to hear that music will always be important to you. As Liem said, the ones who got to see you play in an arena and in a small venue were very fortunate. Thankfully, I am one of them. Thanks for a fantastic start to my year. I hope you and Nick have a swift and easy move back to Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad I got to see you guys play live,I went to the concert in Portland only with the expectation "TO HAVE A GOOD TIME". I had much better than that "I HAD AN EXCELLENT TIME",had never been to a country music show before.It was very cool as I appreciate all types of music BUT SEEING A LIVE SHOW of something you've never seen was GREAT.I am glad to read MUSIC will always be in YOUR LIFE,it has always been in mine.ALL THE BANDS WERE FANTASTIC,But as I said before I went to see YOU GUYS the rest of them were the ICING ON MY CUPCAKE.Thank You So Much. <3 :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super bummer that y'all are moving away from Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hanging out with musicians is so much fun; everyone feels free to burst out into spontaneous music!

    Good to hear that you had a good time with such a huge tour... but I'm glad we still get a chance to see you in a more intimate setting :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Meg, can you almost feel the quiet comfort of your bed yet? The soft pillows and warm blankets pulling you into a nice long sleep... I am pretty sure that is going to be awesome!
    Hope the moving van doesn't wake you. You can almost here the movers..."Hey lady, where you want these broken guitars?" Oh Noooo! It was just a bad dream.
    ;)
    I will miss the regular "Girl on the Road" blog installments. Hopefully, to be replaced by the "Girl Madly Making Robots" blog and the "Girl on the Road 2nd Season" blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, those will be soon to follow for sure!

      Delete
  11. Keep doing what you love: music, robots, writing, sleeping and you'll continue to have my support.

    You're moving back to SLC? Why in the hell would you do that?! Kidding. I liken this city to a family member I love dearly but man do they have some annoying habits and opinions that I disagree with. Family is family, home is home and I think that's why I stay.

    P.S I couldn't tell you were sick at the SLC show and I was right in front of you. Thank you for not blowing sushi chunks on me and my nieces! :) It was a great show!

    ReplyDelete
  12. SLC is the best, well not the best but incredibly good for Utah :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well...without any flavoring, club sodas are kind of blech. It's like sucking on an alka-seltzer...not that I've ever done that...or maybe like smoking chalk. But f I ever got to the end I think I'd write a book about it, then do a book signing tour where everyone told me how great I was all the time, and I'd ask for free transportation to and from the airport. Now that's living.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Meg,
    I agree with you... there is no "end" to music. That's something to love about it: you can always get better. :) I do hope that one day I can play guitar as well as you!

    I hope that you guys go on a Meg and Dia tour again someday. I never got to see you guys in concert and hope to see yall in a smaller venue.

    Aww you guys are moving out of Texas? :( I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and dreamt of going to Austin one day and running into yall (though that was unlikely, haha) :P

    Have a safe move and I know it will be fun being back home :)

    Savannah

    ReplyDelete