Friday, March 23, 2012

Tired And Happy


I spend a few minutes looking over the local paper while sipping on a hot chai tea. A few guys from the other bands break my pleasant morning's peacefulness by shouting to each other across the catering room about all of the insanity that took place the night before. A crew member sits next to me with a guilty grin on his face. "So, how's your trailer?" I look up from an article I am reading about Dia. "Fine. Fine. Our trailer is doing great." I give him a quizzical glance. The normal protocol between people on the tour, and come to think of it, people on the planet, would be to ask each other how each person is doing or maybe how all of our kids or relatives are doing. Normally people don't inquire about how our "mode of transportation" is doing.

I can tell he senses my confusion. "Well, last night me and a couple of guys were slinging around ice bags from the top of a hill tryin' to hit your trailer." "Naturally", I'm thinking to myself. "I threw mine and ended up tossin' my own body down the hill with the momentum and ended up ramming my head into your trailer once I got to the bottom of the hill!" 

I tried to seem enthusiastic. "Ugh huh." Silence. "Nice weather outside." I muttered. I wasn't going to touch that one.

A member from Justin Moore's band attempted to keep down a bit of scrambled eggs and coffee. His skin looked grey. He pushed his plate away after two bites, stood up, and announced in a country drawl to no one and everybody at the same time, "I'm gonna go bayack to bead for a few awwers, and try this agayen…"  I could almost hear the jingle of the imaginary spurs on his feet and the swinging of the non-existent wooden saloon doors as he trudged away.

Man, I must have missed one hell of a tour party last night.

After breakfast, I found the paper sign with "Dia Frampton Green Room" printed in big bold ink on one of the doors in the arena. I took a peak around. No towels yet. Must be too early for our tour manager to be awake. I knocked on production's door. "Hi Beth. Do we have towels yet?" "Yes we do!" She chirped brightly. "We got nice towels today!" It's the little things that make a day better on tour, especially for us girls.



Everything feels so final today. I wonder who will keep in touch with who, what relationships will blossom in the coming years, which musicians will find leads with which bands because of a "connection" made on this tour. I know Nick is going to be best friends with Tracy, Blake's drummer, because Nick always jives with the drummers on tour. 


I suppose more than relationships, for me I'm going to be taking back memories. On our day sheets, Robert, our tour manager, always leaves famous encouraging quotes. Today his quote was by him.



It read: "It was an honor to tour with such amazing people. I know we've had a lot of ups and downs this tour, but that doesn't mean we all don't mean a lot to each other! Thank you for teaching me more than I could take on this tour! Will miss all of you so much! ~Robert"

Honestly,
Meg

P.S. I asked Nick, "Any last words?" He said, "Umm…not really…It's been fun? What's the context?" "It's my "End of Tour" blog!" I urge him on. And all we do is simply nod at each other, Tired and Happy.


15 comments:

  1. robert is da man! holla holla!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's a bit soon, and I probably won't have enough money saves up to buy one, but will there be a first Thursday-April? Always lolling forward to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *saved and *looking stupid spell check!!!!

      Delete
    2. Yes there will be! I'll give you a hint: His name is "Widget".

      Delete
    3. Hmmm sounds like another nerd bot to me....lol

      Delete
    4. My wife will love that one for sure she is always going to antique malls and estate sales and bringing home all kinds of widgets, sounds pretty cool to me too! Can't wait to see this one!

      Delete
  3. A simple and poignant blog.

    Thank you.

    Now's time to really sit back, let things sink in, and keep going. Congrats once again for a successful tour! Any ideas on what the first thing you do will be?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i hope you keep blogging after the tour

    your blog is always entertaining

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on finishing your first arena tour! You all kicked ass. I'm positive it won't be your last. You're all talented and lovely people. Come to Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahhh i can't believe you finished touring! i'm so glad i got to be a part of it in a small way by coming to a show. i know you'll continue on and do more awesome tours and such in the future, so i hope to see you come around again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for taking us with you on tour with this blog, man touring in the winter can be tough. You guys need to be proud, through the times of sickness you never missed a show. (You're a great writer Meg). So glad we got to see you guys perform live here in Michigan, you need to visit us in the summer, spring or fall haha any time actually.

    Hey I like the country accent you picked up, pretty awesome. Yeah you missed a great party, haha probably better off missing that one.

    Looking forward to seeing what lies ahead for you guys now that this tour is over. Relaxing for sure! Good luck on the upcoming move, stay safe and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was that Gwen Sebastian from The Voice 2? Wow! How long ago were the battle rounds and the blind auditions?? I heard from Carson Daly that Gwen would background for Blake but that soon? wow! The non-live portions must have been so long ago!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Meg (and each band member who reads this)!! I saw Dia post up how many days and show you guys had, it was a BIG number. An amazing number actually! I cannot even imagine how thrilled yet exhausted everyone is. On top of touring the U.S. , you spent extra time keeping fans up to date and we are truly thankful. Some of us cannot attend a show thus reading what the experience was like can easily fill some of the empty space made by our lack of attendance. Then there are other fans who simply like reading or consider themselves as diehards. These individuals want to know how your life is going as if you were in U.S. Weekly or some celebrity based magazine. Your blogs are not only something to entertaining to read, but it is also a lifeline for some of us. Ohh Miss MegBot we are your robo-followers and we NEED our fix. Reading is like getting gears oiled up and circuits fully charged. Without you and what you do many people would be left wondering around in a electrical junk yard with no purpose. Was that all too dramatic? Hehe... Enjoy your down time and come back fully recharged. We will all be ready and waiting.

    ReplyDelete