Monday, June 11, 2012

"The First Band Practice"


Introduction: A lot of people have been asking me lately how the band got started, how they might start one of their own, how to get the ball rolling. Now, I think the time is right to share my story:

I remember them playing LOUD. I had never heard live instruments being played together (well sort of together) right in front of me. Only myself and my three girlfriends sat in the doting audience of this performance. The girls from Dixie High had ditched our usual bunch of  sweet guys from our school and chosen to do the rebellious thing (Gasp!) and accept the invitation to hang out at a band practice made up of a 5 unruly young men from our rival high school.

All of our adolescent hearts couldn't help but pound watching the front-man shout into his mic covered in saliva and sweat. He hopped up onto the back of the couch all of us girls were seated on in the middle of a song, feverishly swaying to the music as he attempted to find his balance. Ah, we all could have fainted right there. It took every ounce of strength not to reach out and touch him and scream in youthful delight. He might as well have been Jim Morison.


A HUNK if I ever saw one.



So maybe, looking back, my love for music may have started with a crush on a adolescent frontman.

Love. It's a bitch.

Filled with sultry images of their band practice and armed with an intensity to have my way or else, I begged my dad for a guitar. Funny he didn't put up much of a fight. Maybe his will bent like a willow tree because the previous week I had asked for a white pony and the week before that I asked for the private helicopter with suede fuschia seats, please daddy?

He drove me straight over to the only guitar shop we had in town. He knew the guy who owned it, so they chatted in the back of the shop while I stared in quiet awe at the beauties hanging up on the wall, gorgeous and dangerous at the same time. I didn't know the names of any of the great guitar players like my fellow geeky guy friends. I had never heard of any of the brands of these guitars.

I judge guitars the same way I judge cars: by color.


"What kind of car do you have?" "A white one" is my response. "Which kind of guitar do you want?" asked the kind man with the kind eyes. "The black one." I replied shyly. The guitar I picked was a Les Paul Studio and it sounded awful. (To be fair, this could have been because I had never played a guitar before...) Also it weighed, like a hundred pounds with the case and guitar together. While l lugged my new instrument back to the car I thought to myself, "Damn this thing is heavy. I'd seriously like to reconsider and switch to the ukelele if its not too much trouble."

 Once I brought that thing home, I remember admiring the hot pink satin covering and faux fur that the case was lined with much more than my black guitar. So, I set the guitar back in the case, slid that puppy under my bed, and that's where it stayed for the next six months gathering dust.

Honestly,
Meg

33 comments:

  1. I think I had a similar experience watching you and Carlo playing like badasses in some youtube videos, and then at the shows I've been to. My first guitar was/is this no-name acoustic thing. I hate it most of the time but I've learned a lot on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, as long as it has at least ...4 strings and makes noise, it'll work:)

      Delete
  2. I got my first guitar many years ago from a boy who had a crush on me. He mailed it to CT from TX. I played with it for a bit and it now resides behind my couch. You have inspired me to pick it up and play but I don't know where to begin. Someone once told me to start from the beginning but I think that's overrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I say start two thirds of the way through!

      Delete
  3. I think I know these guys ;). Xoxo
    Jason Cowley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jason! You read my blog? Ha ha. I am stunned.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. Would love to know what made u start playing 6 months later and how u learned it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Also whose idea it was to start Meg and Dia? (after Jade Harbor)

      Delete
  5. Im all like. why why!! can anyone left such a guitar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?! I wish my 27 year old self could go back to my 16 year old self and give me a good slap in the face! ha ha

      Delete
  6. I got into so many bands as a teenage girl that I never would have gotten into had I not had crushes on some of their specific male fans, haha. I ended up discovering and loving some pretty great bands which is about the only thing I have to thank those guys for but at least its something :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I hate to admit that guys can have so much influence, but this is a realization I had the other day as well.

      Delete
  7. this sounds like something i would do. i always buy things to try to start a project or make things that i could sell and then i either get bored or don't know what to do and nothing ever happens with it. at least guitar stuff ended up working out for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've given up on plenty of projects: knitting, letterpress. (Poor Nick, he bought me a lot of really gorgeous yarn for Christmas last year...) But, at least I keep doing SOME of the things, and that's the way I think it works out for most people.

      Delete
  8. I've always wanted an instrument to play. I've had boyfriends and friends with guitars. I could sit and watch them play for hours. Sometimes, I got to try strumming a few chords. The last guy I liked tried to teach me a song on his two guitars. I failed miserably and didn't have much fun. One of my close friends has a brother who has a drum set in his room. We always sneak in there and play around. Drumming is much more entertaining than playing guitar to me, though both mesmerize me when others play them. I've always wanted a drum set, but my parents don't want me to get one while I live in their house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My little sisters just got a drum set. I love hearing them bang around from upstairs. They are getting pretty good. Who knew?!

      Delete
  9. Thanks to my kind sister. My first guitar was a Yamaha Strat copy when I was 14 years old. First song I learned was "Love Gun"by Kiss. First guitar solo I learned was "I Feel Free" by Cream. Learned how to sing at 21. Joined a band at 22. And I have been in that same band on and off for ten years. I absolutely luved today's blog.

    oneluv,
    macca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing! Have you guys released any records lately? Glad, you kept at it. I have a love-hate relationship with my guitar...

      Delete
  10. I got my first guitar from a friend who had started out on the same guitar. A friend of his had passed it along to him to learn and in turn he passed it on to me. It doesn't work as well as it use to but it is where I first learned so much and it holds a lot of fond memories as cheesy as it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O.K. Word of advice to you: NEVER sell that thing! I learned the hard way...

      Delete
  11. that's really funny!! glad your guitar didn't stay in its pretty pink case under the bed forever!!
    I fell in love with guitar after listening to "Our Home is Gone" for the first time. I just loved the emotions the acoustic guitar was able to portray and it made me really want to play guitar. I had never considered playing guitar before (I was always a piano gal), but after hearing you play I decided to start practicing on my grandfather's old guitar, and then I got my own lovely guitar as a high school graduation present :)
    I'm soooo glad that i started playing guitar, I absolutely love it, and I have you to thank for inspiring me to start :) So thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you are welcome. That's funny because right now I've really been wanting to get into piano more. Regina Spektor inspired me.

      Delete
    2. YES IM SO HAPPY EVEN MY INSPIRATION(YOU AND MEG AND DIA) IS INSPIRED BY THE SAME ARTIST IM INSPIRED BY.

      Delete
  12. In all honesty I discovered Meg and Dia quite late in my musical journey, but i did not play my instruments almost at all before. Your guys music really had the honesty of true life and memories put into it. With the exception of inspiration of books you read along the way. Before I listened to your music i had a very strong doubt on how well music industrys were picking artist out. To me it all most seemed like they were doing inny meenie minnie moe with randoms. But then i heard you guys. Introduced to me by a friend of mine. "Monster" was the first song i heard. Based i believe of a chapter in East of Eden. Incredible story and emotion in that song. The writing and emotion you guys put into your music has seriously molded most of who i am today. I shall be completely honest and i will say that i have failed to follow through with your music. But it has helped me notice a lot of incredible artist out there. I do seriously love every single song of MnD that has been heard by my ear, no doubt. Anyways this started as a guitar thing. I am now slowing getting myself into the music industry by going to school to become an audio engineer to maybe some day record an album of your guys or be your sound guy on live shows. I LOVE EVERY SINGLE OF ONE OF YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART. MEG,DIA,CARLO, JONATHAN,AND NICK!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Evan. It means a lot that you thanked each of us individually. The guys have been working hard on the tour that Dia is on right now. I miss them....

      Delete
    2. No problem. It means a lot that you reply to these. seriously. I'm disappointed that you are not involved right now. Now i'm not sure if you chose that or whatever but i'd really like for all of you to be together again. And Come Back to bakersfield. Btw, although it was a long time ago, i read Unbearable lightness of being. Well honestly got through about half. I'm not a reader like at all so it was a tough one but such an incredible book. I believe you suggested it a while back like a few years ago. i seriously hope your doing incredible. All of you of coarse. See, for me i don't really like, although i am incredibly happy for dia, when some of the band is left out for shows or albums or anything. I know i don't know that back stories so i can't complain too much. When you guys were in bakersfield Carlo told me to cover cardigan weather i believe. I haven't done it. but i want to so bad. i need a female vocalist and another kick ass guitarist/back vocalist such as yourself. OH! i love how you had more of a lead part in "Said and Done". I love your voice so much. I never heard it that clearly. Anyways thanks again for the reply.

      Delete
    3. Oh also i wanted to know. If you had a personal email i could discuss books and songs with you. Since it seems like you have a little more time on your hands. i'd be cool, of coarse if your okay with it. I've also always wanted to collab with you, whether it was in person or synced audio over video and sent to one another to work with, you know?

      Delete
  13. hahaha I like the private helicopter idea XD

    And how Meg & Dia get started? I would love to know the story :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL... love this story. More more more:)

    ReplyDelete